If you have landed on this page and are connected to this Baker Family,
please join our Facebook research page William Baker of Concord d. 1679
Lt. Joseph2 Baker [Jr] was born on 22 Jan 1721, son of Joseph Baker & Alice Jefts.[i] He fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill with his son Joseph at his side.
He died in 1776 “d. Jul 8 1776 a. 55 (Feb 20 1776 a. 55)”.[ii] 20 Feb 1776 – Siege of Boston was going on from 19 Apr 1775 thru 17 Mar 1776 when the Boston Troops started marching to NY. It is unclear if Joseph died locally on 20 Feb 1776, or on 8 Jul 1776 in New York. If I was to venture a guess, I would say it would be odd for his grave not to be marked if he died locally given the social status of Joseph. There isn’t a grave marked in Littleton for him.
Joseph married Sarah Hook Wheeler daughter of Edward Wheeler and Elizabeth Herrick in 1742 in Littleton, MA.[iii] Sarah was “born ye 4 Feb 1724.[iv] She died on 22 Sep 1803 age 79 in Acton, MA.[v]
Merrimack County Deeds:
47-214 5 May 1748 Joseph2 Baker Jr of Littleton to Edward Wheeler
68-468 22 May 1752 Edward Wheeler to Joseph2 Baker Jr
69-12 3 Sept 1760 Joseph2? Baker to Leonard Whiting
72-97 7 May 1771 Leonard Whiting to Joseph Baker2
72-98 22 July 1771 Joseph2 Baker to Ebenezer Pemberton of Boston, 45 acres
72-519 2 July 1772 Joseph2 to Samuel Gilbert of Littleton
74-418 5 Mar 1770 Stephen Dudley of Littleton Cooper? to Joseph Baker
78-298 2 July 1772 Samuel Gilbert to Joseph Baker
They had the following children:[vi]
1. Sarah Baker was born on 22 Feb 1743 in Littleton, MA.[vii] Sarah dau of Joseph Baker died 14 Apr 1747 age 3y 7w.[viii]
2. Mary Baker was born on 20 Sep 1746 in Littleton, MA.[ix] d. 25 Sep 1794 unm.[x] “Mara” died 25 Jun 25 1794 age 47. [xi]
3. Capt Joseph3 Baker was born on 11 Sep 1748 in Littleton, MA.[xii] Joseph married Anna Dix on 7 Nov 1779, dau of Jonathan Dix & Sarah Shattuck. [xiii] Joseph III MC Deeds 90-48-50 1 June 1784 Laomi Baldwin of Woburn Esq & Sheriff, recovered judgment against Jos Baker Gnt; Daniel Osgood Tanner, both of Littleton, Nehemiah Ramsdell of Groton yeoman,
Joseph is listed as a Capt on the births of his daughters [xiv] and on his probate record.[xv] Littleton Town Record book states he prob. died about 1794,[xvi] but his probate is clear that he died before 25 May 1792.[xvii] The last record I have seen for him outside of his probate is 15 Aug 1793 when he received a military payment which seems odd given his probate was in 1792.[xviii] Anna Baker appointed Richard Goldsmith of Harvard as the Administrator. Also mentions John Dix, Benj Dix, John Hartwell and others. It gives no indication of his being deranged, infact he is referred to as Gentleman consistently. My 5x greatgrandfather, his brother Peter, is mentioned in the list of disbursements 7.4.6 for funeral charges & other things.[xix]
Anna died 30 Jul 1803, age 56, & was buried in the Central Burying Ground, Boston. Her obituary appeared in The Columbian Centinel, 3 August 1803: Mrs. Anna Baker, Governess of Boston Female Asylum, died Saturday last.
It is unclear what happened to Joseph. He apparently had a hard time after the war and is listed as “deranged” 1 Apr 1779 in his military service.[xx]
Aside from his father who served early & died in 1776, this Joseph was the only Joseph Baker from Littleton in the Revolution. The following sources will be helpful for any of his descendants.
WarDepartmentPapers.org NARA Manuscript File RG93, 15 Aug 1793, pd 13.95
The Pension Lists of 1792-1795, Ancestry.com A statement of all the claims which have been adjusted and allowed at the Treasury Department, Aug 28, 1793 4517 a Baker, Joseph Lieutenant, Colo: Bailey's Regiment Oct 1, 1779 13.95
U.S., Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783, Joseph Baker
Compiled Service Records of Soldiers Who Served in the American Army During the Revolutionary War 1775-1785, Pages 1-6, p. 3 is the page that mentions derangement. Joseph Baker, NARA M881
Massachusetts soldiers and sailors of the Revolutionary War: a compilation from the archives. Vol 1, p. 488, Boston, Massachusetts: Wright & Potter Printing Co., 1896-1908.
i. Anna Baker b: 27 Sep 1780 “Daughter of Capt Joseph Baker & Anna”.[xxi]
ii. Sarah Baker b: 10 Sep 1782 “Daughter of Capt Joseph Baker & Anna”.[xxii]
Littleton Town Records, p. 521:
“They had dau. who m. Allen and had dau. Sarah Allen m. John S. Walton of Pepperell.”
Littleton Town Records, p. 425:
“Joseph m. Nov 7 1779 Anna Dix, had 2 daughters, one m. Allen, one m. Goodwin, whose dau. m. John Adams and died. John Adams m. 2d Dec 25 1835 M. A. Kimball.”
4. Dr. Edward Baker was born on 14 Nov 1750 in Littleton, MA. [xxiii] Edward married 1st Patty Proctor on 28 Jul 1776,[xxiv] int 20 May 1776. [xxv] Patty died 17 Jun 1787. [xxvi] Edward married 2nd Betsy Reed, dau of Jona Reed of Harvard. [xxvii] Edward died 24 Mar 1822.[xxviii] 72-511 8 July 1772 Joseph2 of Littleton to Edward Baker of Littleton, Laborer; 78-299-300 20 Jul 1773 Joseph Baker to Edward Baker, witness Peter Baker
i. Pattee/Polly Baker b: 9 Jul 1777.[xxix] m: 1797 Moses Whitney of Harvard int. 16 Mar m: 18 Apr 1797, int record says Patty of Littleton; church record says "Apr 28".[xxx] They d abt 1817 (LTR). Children: Lucy b.1800 m: Aug W. Walker; Eliza b. 1806 m. 14 Apr 1824 Eri Parker; Harriet b. 1811 m. Marshall Shed, 1845; Elbridge b. c1804 d. 26 Sep 1837.
ii. Susanna Baker b: 1 Aug 1778.[xxxi]
iii. Edward Baker Jr. b: 1 Jan 1780.[xxxii] Edward Jr married Anna Haskell, both of Lil't, int 9 Dec 1804 m. 15 Jan 1805. [xxxiii]
iv. Andrew Baker b: 4 Nov 1806.[xxxiv]
v. John Baker b: 7 Aug 1781.[xxxv] bpt Mar 6, 1785 (LTR) d: Jan 3, 1786 (LTR).
vi. Lydia Baker b: 31 Aug 1783.[xxxvi] m: 16 Mar 1809, int 8 Feb Joshua Blodgett both of Lit'l.[xxxvii] Joshua b: 1785 (LTR). He died May 6, 1842 (LTR). Children: Lydia b: 24 Jun 1809; Jonas b: 28 Oct 1810
vii. Jonathan Baker b c1794 see also pg 320 bpt: 1 Jun 1794
viii. Betsy Baker b. Feb 1792 (LTR). bpt. 13 Mar 1791 (LTR pg 319) unm (LTR).
ix. Sally Baker b 1799 (LTR). bpt: June 2, 1799 (LTR) m James Tower (LTR). resided in Lowell (LTR).
x. Lucy Baker b: 1802 (LTR). bpt: Mar 14, 1802 (LTR) unm (LTR).
xi. Susanna Baker m: Turner resided in Norwich, VT (LTR).
5. Jonathan Baker was born on 18 Jun 1753 in Littleton, MA.[xxxviii] He died 26 Feb 1757.[xxxix]
6. Peter Baker was born on 5 Sep 1755 in Littleton, MA.[xl] int. Lydia Dudley 14 Nov 1783.[xli] – See his post here
7. Sarah Baker was born on 14 Feb 1758 in Littleton, MA.[xlii] She married Jon Whitcomb on 8 Jul 1779 [xliii]“Jr” int 5 Jun 1779.[xliv]
8. Elizabeth "Betty" Baker was born on 13 Aug 1761 in Littleton, MA. [xlv] Elizabeth married Samuel Tuttle III, b. 1758, [xlvi] on 30 Mar 1780,[xlvii] int. 23 Oct 1779.[xlviii] He died on 25 Feb 1829.[xlix] They had children born in Littleton & Acton & removed to Antrim, NH.[l]
i. Tuttle Twin b: 1780 (LTR).
ii. Tuttle Twin b: 1780 (LTR).
iii. Samuel Tuttle b: Oct 9, 1781 (LTR). d: 1834 (LTR).
iv. Betsey Tuttle b: Nov 5, 1783 (LTR). d: Dec 23, 1843 (LTR).
v. Sally Tuttle b; Feb 24 (LTR). d: Nov 8, 1825 (LTR).
vi. Horace Tuttle b: Sept 1, 1791 (LTR). d: Jan 12 1800 (LTR).
Copyright Amylynne Murphy NewEnglandGenealogist.com 2017
[i] Littleton Town Records p.9 & 18
[ii] Littleton Town Records p. 520 & 534
[iii] Littleton Town Records p. 495
[iv] Littleton Town Records p.14
[v] Littleton Town Records p.495, 520; Acton Births Marriages & Deaths via Ancestry.com
[vi] Littleton Town Records p.53; 54; 93, 424, 425, 521
[vii] Littleton Town Records p.p. 53
[viii] Littleton Town Records p. 93
[ix] Littleton Town Records p. 54
[x] Littleton Town Records p.424
[xi] Littleton Town Records p.152; burial 27 Jun 1794, p. 343
[xii] Littleton Town Records p.p. 54
[xiii] Littleton Town Records p.424; * Memorials of the descendants of William Shattuck, by Lemuel Shattuck, pg 112 states: “Anna, b. March 25 1748; m. Nov. 7 1779, Joseph Baker. In 1795 she went to Boston, and d. there in July, 1803. She was the first female employed as an instructor at the Orphan Asylum”.
[xiv] Littleton Town Records p.152
[xv] Administration Capt Joseph3 Baker 1792 Middlesex County MA Probate File # 758, Widow Anna appoints administrator Richard Goldsmith of Harvard on 25 May 1792 Witnesses Timothy & Anna Goldsmith
[xvi] Littleton Town Records p.521
[xvii] Administration Capt Joseph3 Baker 1792
[xviii] NARA RG93, Settlement of pay for Joseph Baker 13.95, 15 Aug 1793, No 5A, from Oct 1779
[xix] Administration Capt Joseph3 Baker 1792
[xx] Compiled Service Records of Soldiers Who Served in the American Army During the Revolutionary War, NARA
[xxi] Littleton Town Records p.152
[xxii] Littleton Town Records p.152
[xxiii] Littleton Town Records p.p. 54
[xxiv] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxv] Littleton Town Records p.272
[xxvi] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxvii] Littleton Town Records p.424
[xxviii] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxix] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxx] Littleton Town Records p.240
[xxxi] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxxii] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxxiii] Littleton Town Records p.244
[xxxiv] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxxv] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxxvi] Littleton Town Records p.154
[xxxvii] Littleton Town Records p.246
[xxxviii] Littleton Town Records p.54
[xxxix] Littleton Town Records p.54
[xl] Littleton Town Records p.p. 54
[xli] Littleton Town Records p.278
[xlii] Littleton Town Records p.p. 54
[xliii] Littleton Town Records p.424
[xliv] Littleton Town Records p.278
[xlv] Littleton Town Records p.p. 54
[xlvi] Littleton Town Records p.424
[xlvii] Littleton Town Records p.229, 521
[xlviii] Littleton Town Records p.229
[xlix] Littleton Town Records p.521
[l] Littleton Town Records p.521
Copyright Amylynne Murphy NewEnglandGenealogist.com 2017
6G Abraham Sanderson Jr. & Sarah Wheeler
Abraham Sanderson of Weston, MA, son of Abraham Sanderson & Patience Smith of Lunenburg, MA was born Feb 23 1735-6 in Lunenburg, MA (FSR) (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), and died Dec 1807 in Boston, MA. [Need to see probate #19780; 19781 & 19782 in 1808-1809 Middlesex County]. (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974) He published his intention to marry Sarah Wheeler May the 30th 1761and married on Sep 10, 1761 in Weston, MA, daughter of Abijah Wheeler and Tabitha of Weston, MA. She was born Jun 3 1738 in Weston (NEHGS) and died Aug 1808 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974).
In his will according to Page Sanderson’s account in NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974 - Abraham names sons Abijah & Abraham executors but Abijah declined. But when Abraham died in the midst of it, Abijah was requested by the widow Hannah [He must be talking about the younger Abraham who is also dead now, as well as the older Abraham’s wife who was Sarah] , “his brother Amos, and his sister Betsey & her husband Solomon Child” [meaning the younger Abraham & Abijah’s siblings]
Page Sanderson also goes on to say - the will [for the older Abraham] dated Jun 19 1805 states, “Sarah my beloved wife”; Abijah, my eldest son; :Abraham my son, to children of my son Isaac, deceased, my sons Jacob & Phineas, daughters Polly and Sarah, my son Amos, Abigail & Sukey White , children of my daughter Susanna, deceased, and to my three daughters, Sarah, Betsey and Polly”
Children of Abraham Sanderson and Sarah Wheeler are:
1. Abijah Sanderson was born Jul 26, 1762 in Weston, MA (NEHGS) (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), married Lydia Jones Aug 26 1787(NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974) and died Nov 20 1823 in Weston, MA (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974).
2. Abraham Sanderson was born Oct 11 1763 in Weston, MA(NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), bpt Oct 6 1765 (NEHGS), m: Hannah Peirce on Aug 18 1785 in Waltham (NEHGS) (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974). He died Dec 13 1808 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974).
3. Isaac Sanderson was born Oct 1 1765 in Weston, MA (NEHGS) (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974) , m: Lucy Hewes on Nov 26 1789 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), m2nd Anna Bridge on Aug 23 1801(NEHGS- Register Vol 128 1974). He died before 1807(NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974).
4. Jacob Sanderson was born Mar 2 1767 in Weston, MA (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), bpt Mar 15 1767 (NEHGS), m: Betsey Thayer on Aug 30 1791 and died after 1805 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974); d. Feb 9 1829 a87 Lunenberg/Fitchberg Cemetery per NEHGS.
5. Sarah/Sally Sanderson was born Apr 22 1769 in Weston, MA (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), bpt Apr 23 1769 (NEHGS) , m: Charles Peirce on Aug 16 1791 she and died AFT 1805 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974).
6. Susanna Sanderson was born Oct 3 1771 in Weston, MA (NEHGS) (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974) m: Jonas White on May 26 1789 and died before 1805 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974).
7. Amos Sanderson was born Mar 20 1774 in Weston, MA (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974) bpt Mar 27 1774(bpt only NEHGS), and died 1856, Middlesex Probate # 41032 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974). He married Mary __________.
8. Betsey Sanderson was born Sep 17 1776 in Weston, MA (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), m: Solomon Child in Weston Oct 26 1804. She after Apr 23 1844 in Weston, MA when her husband’s will wasprobated #29177 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974).
9. Phinehas Sanderson was born Sep 20 1780 in Weston, MA (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), bpt Oct 8 1780 (bpt only NEHGS). He married Phebe Chinery Feb 241803, daughter of John Chinery and Phebe Sargent (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974) – see previous.
10. Polly Sanderson was born Aug 171783 in Weston, MA (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974), m. Abijah Child of Waltham on Jan 29 1807 (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974) and shortly after May 20 1851 when she was named executrix of her husband’s will (NEHGS-Register Vol 128 1974).
(NEHGS- Vol 127 1973) & (NEHGS Vol 128 1974) See the New England Historical Genealogical Register for articles in 2 parts written by Page Sanderson of Meredith, NH. It seems to me to be the most accurate, sourced & complete account of the Sanderson Family that I have found.
(NEHGS) Record is listed with the New England Historical Genealogical Society via AmericanAncestors.org
(FSR) Family Search Records
(Ancestry.com) US Census Records
(GP-V3) Gene & Person. By Cutter Vol III
Copyright Amylynne Baker-Santagate, NHGenealogist.com
Amylynne (Baker) Murphy