New England Genealogist - Surname Saturday - Robert Peel Ramsden & Ellen Louisa Wright of Lawrence, MA
Robert Peel Ramsden was born on Oct 26 1840 in or near Linthwaite, England, the son of William Ramsden & Sophia Rebecca (Ramsden) . He married Ellen Lousia Wright on Jul 3 1867 in E Cambridge, MA . Ellen was born on Mar 8, 1850 in W. Newton, Ma daughter of Patrick Wright & Bridgett Taffe . Tradition says that when Ellen was 17, she & Robert were stranded together in a train station overnight. Fearing her daughter had been compromised, Bridgett insisted they marry even though the Wright’s were Catholic and the Ramsden’s were Protestant. When nothing become of it, Bridgett then decided she wanted them to get a divorce. Ellen refused. She died on Apr 11, 1913 in Lawrence, Ma and was also buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Salem, NH . He died May 13, 1927 and was buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Salem, NH on May 14, 1927 .
Robert & his mother Sophia were not found on the 1865 Massachusetts Census, but according to late US Censuses, the indication is they arrived somewhere about Oct-Nov 1864-1865 . Tradition says that Robert’s little brother Henry came with them. Records show their father had died between 1845-1851 near Huddersfield, England , and their mother Sophia was with Robert in 1870-Framingham , after having lived in Newton, MA during 1868 . From 1880 to after 1910 they family resided in Lawrence, MA. During this time, it appears he was naturalized in Oct 1884, however, I have not yet seen the file yet .
On Oct 22 1904, Robert returned to Boston from a visit to England on the ship Cretic which departed Liverpool on Oct 13th. It appears he made the trip, or at least, returned alone. The passenger list indicates he was 64 yrs old, married, Spinner, can read & write, citizen of England (America is crossed off), last residence Liverpool, destination18 Kendal St. Lawrence, Ma. He had previously lived in the US for 39 yrs, the last time in 1904. “Good” is crossed out for health and “senility” is written in .
During 1920 he is in Cambridge with his daughter Florence and it looks as if he may have married again but be widowed a second time .He is in So. Royalston MA in May 1922 according to his son William’s passport application .
Robert and Ellen had 13 children & 10 living in 1900 which indicates we’re missing another one
who was born & died young, but after looking high & low, the child can’t be found . The others were:
1. Charles H. Ramsden died Nov 13, 1869 in Framingham 1 day old
2. Walter Ramsden b. Jan 1 1871 d. Mar 17 1876
3. George Wright Ramsden born Apr 11 1873 in Saugus, MA & married Lizzie Russell and resided in Methuen, Ma in 1938 .
4. William Henry Ramsden born Feb 13, 1875 in Saugus, Ma , married Bertha Anderson on Oct 3 1904 . She was born in Sweden, and resided in Boston, Ma in 1938 . I found his application for a passport on ancestry to go visit her family in Sweden. It states his father arrived Oct-Nov 1865 and at the time (May 3, 1922) is living in So Royalston, Ma, & had previously lived in Lawrence, Andover, Saugus, Newton, MA
5. Alice Phebe Ramsden born 1877 m: Herbert John David Stevenson -see previous -
6. James Walter Ramsden/Walter James Ramdsen born Aug 24 1878 . He married Bertha Bibbons Sep 16 1909 Lawrence, MA . He died in 1931 .
7. Charles Augustus Ramsden born Sept 8 1880 in Lawrence, MA m: Catherine Agnes Cullen resided in Boston, Ma in 1938
8. Frederick Ramsden born June 8 1883 in Andover Ma , married Edith Josephine Kimball, “Josie” and resided in Providence, RI in 1938 .
9. Florence Ramsden born Mar 28, 1885 in Andover Ma She died Feb 9 1947 & was buried in Pinegrove Cemetery, Salem NH . Florence married Silas Knight born 1885 and resided in Dorchester, Ma in 1938 .
10. Ellen/Helen Louisa Ramsden born Aug 29 1887 in Andover, married Dennis Spears and resided in Everett, Ma in 1938 .
11. Maude Ramsden born Aug 1 1890 in Lawrence, married Vincent Sinclair & resided in Taunton, Ma in 1938
12. Edwin/Edward L. Ramsden born Apr 7 1892 in Lawrence, Ma. Died July 12 1938 in
Derry, NH of a heart attack . He is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Salem, NH . He was married to Evelyn Anderson. They had several children, some of whom are living and are therefore not published here .
Click here to download the fully sourced version
Copyright 2015 Amylynne Baker Murphy, NHGenealogist.com & NewEnglandGenealogist.com
Amylynne (Baker) Murphy