So, we're finally moving on to a point where a lot has been openly published online by others, some of which is sourced and some of which is not. Over the next two weeks I'll be sharing my notes & sources for Asa & Mary, what exists, what doesn't exist, etc. In the first half of this post I'll discuss their possible children & in the second half next week, I'll discuss piecing their life together through records.
Asa Haseltine was born on June 15, 1742 in Haverhill, MA, son of James Haseltine and Elizabeth Hutchins (Haverhil VR). [See the transcription of the will of his father James Haseltine that names Asa here.] Asa married Mary Ober on Dec 6, 1763 in Haverhill, Ma (Haverhil VR). Mary was born on Aug 10 1745 in Salem, NH and was the daughter of Israel Ober and Mary Pittman of Salem, NH (NHVR). Some state her full name as "Mary Elizabeth Ober" I have not seen a source that backs this up - if you have one - please share it in the comments.
Birth records for their children have not been found & were likely not recorded anywhere. We can assume they were born in Atkinson, NH as that is where they lived at the time but no records for them exist there. Atkinson’s Vital Records at the Historical Society was checked as well as the Congregational Church Records for Atkinson held at the NH State Library. The towns of Windham, Derryfield, Haverhill & Salem were also checked. Further, Asa did not leave a will or probate behind.
Lapham has been the main source of noted births etc - this is a problem because he is not always right, however, as discussed in the weeks prior to this blog post through the deeds we can be fairly certain that this is all the same family – but it is certainly NOT all indisputable. I would LOVE to know what others have found.
Possible Children of Asa & Mary – order uncertain
1. Asa Haseltine [Jr.] b: Aug 9, 1764 (NHVR – no parents listed) m: Rebecca Hogg [b. 1762] on Mar 19 1793, both of Derryfield in Goffstown/Manchester, NH (NHVR). Wife of Asa Haselton died Sep 4, 1848 age 86, according to History of Chester pg 627.
All birth records NHVR say “Pagy” as the mother
[weird because her name really seems to be Rebecca]
i. John Haseltine b. Jul 30 1794 Derryfield/Manchester, NH
ii. Asa Haseltine b. Aug 5 1796 Derryfield/Manchester, NH
iii. Rebeckah Haseltine b. Aug 5 1796 Derryfield/Manchester, NH
iv. Silas Haseltine b. Nov 10 1798 Derryfield/Manchester, NH
v. Phineas Haseltine b. Jan 23 1801 Derryfield/Manchester, NH d. Dec 14 1885 death
says son of Asa & Rebecca Hodge
vi. Edward Haseltine b. Apr 19 1803 Derryfield/Manchester, NH – there must be a story
here as it seems he was appointed a guardian in adulthood, see probate records and
deeds for him in Hillsborough County.
Genealogical Sketches of Robert and John Hazelton and Some of Their Descendants, Compiled by Lapham, published by F.H. Hazelton, 1892 - 368 pages pg 149 states: married ____Hoag Children: John m: _ Hall; Asa drowned; Rebecca m: Joseph Kimball of Salem, NH; Silas m: _____Hall; Phineas m: __McMurphy; Edward -
2. Polly Haseltine* b: 1770 m: David Calef about 1792. He was b. a 1767 in Chester, NH, farmer, (according to the birth of Jonathan) lived first in Chester on the homestead (RC Deed 152-98 in 1788) then traded property with James Emerson (RC 195-213 in 1799; 185-264 in 1799) & resided in Londonderry, NH. Both lived to be 84. They are buried in Moore’s Cemetery in Manchester, NH per FindaGrave. “Moore Cemetery is visible from Brown Avenue, but shares an entrance with Pine Island Park.” Also see Hillsborough County deed 98-376 which states that David owned part of the Haseltine Mill. Other deeds should be checked as well.
They had at least 8 children, order uncertain:
i. Stephen Calef b. Aug 10 1798 in Londonderry, NH 4th child, (NHVR)
ii. John Calef
iii. Mary Calef
iv. Jonathan Calef b. May 11 1806 in Londonderry, NH, 8th child (NHVR)
v. Betsey Calef
vi. Ruth Calef
Genealogical Sketches of Robert and John Hazelton and Some of Their Descendants, Compiled by Lapham, published by F.H. Hazelton, 1892 - 368 pages pg 151-2 states: married David Calef, Children: Betsey; Jonathan; John; Stephen; Nancy; Ruth; Mary; Sarah
Also see - Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire: A ..., Volume 2
edited by Ezra S. Stearns, William Frederick Whitcher, Edward Everett Parker pg 885.
3. Phillip Haseltine b. a1768-1771 – see previous post here
4. James Haseltine b:A1772 – d. Oct 18 1848 in Manchester, NH of consumption (NHVR) I haven’t looked into him at all – but I will say there are a zillion deeds under “James” in Hillsborough County that should be researched.
5. Betsy Haseltine B. a1773? Possibly married Philip Stevens, both of Derryfield, in Goffstown, NH on Mar 4 1795 (NHVR)
i. Alpha Stevens b. Aug 2 1798 in Derryfield, NH (NHVR)
Genealogical Sketches of Robert and John Hazelton and Some of Their Descendants, Compiled by Lapham, published by F.H. Hazelton, 1892 - 368 pages pg 152 states: married ____ Stevens; Abigail; Alpheus; Elizabeth
6. Stephen Haseltine b: a1774 Lapham says he moved to Newport NH, but I don’t see him on a census there in 1820 or 1830. Deeds clearly state he was the brother of David, but nothing found specifically states he was the brother of the others. He is last seen for sure in Manchester, NH 1810. The only Stephen on the census in Newport doesn’t show up until 1860.
There is a marriage in Salem, NH between Stephen Haseltine of Derry, NH & Lydia Haseltine of Salem, NH on March 15 1803 reported by Salem, NH, not sure it’s him or not (NHVR) That Lydia Haseltine is the daughter of Jonathan & Sarah (Kimball) Haseltine b. Aug 27, 1782 in Salem, NH which links to the family in Springfield, NH. A Stephen does show up in Springfield, NH during 1830 [age 40-49 b. 1781-1790] & 1840 -30-39]?, but he is not old enough, could be his son?
i. Kimball Haseltine b. Feb 3 1804 in Manchester, NH according to d. Jun 18 1893 in
Springfield, NH son of Stephen & Lydia (NHVR) m: Hepsibah Smith May 15 1834
Sunapee, NH (NHVR) She was b. 1811 & died Nov 24 1880 age 69 in Springfield,
NH, dau of Nathan Smith & Sally (NHVR)
ii. Albert Haseltine b. Oct 4 1814 Sunapee, NH according to d. Jan 27 1892 77y3m23d
Springfield, NH (NHVR)
Genealogical Sketches of Robert and John Hazelton and Some of Their Descendants, Compiled by Lapham, published by F.H. Hazelton, 1892 - 368 pages pg 151 states: married Lydia, daughter of Jonathan Kimball & moved to Newport, NH [Sullivan County] Children Kimball; Betsey; Lydia & other children born in Newport
7. David Haseltine b. a1776? Deeds clearly state he is Stephen’s brother & his wife was Mirium. There is a marriage to a Miriam Stevens in Manchester 1797 (NHVR). In a deed between David & Philip it also mentions Stephen is David’s brother, but nothing found specifically states he was the brother of the others. There is also a deed between Jonathan & David Hillsborough County Deed# 99-296 see previous post
i. David Haseltine b. Oct 11 1800 in Manchester, NH (NHVR)
ii. William G. Haseltine b. in Manchester, NH d. Jan 11 1879, 78y 7m in Dunbarton, NH,
names David & “Maria” as parents (NHVR)
iii. Catherine Haseltine b. a1804 m: ______ Martin d. Apr 29 1873, 69y 8m in Lynn, MA
iv. Miriam Haseltine b. a1815 in Manchester, NH m1st ? m2nd: _____ Brown m3rd Ezekiel
Tibbetts on Nov 5 1876 in Goffstown, NH, son of Steven & Ruth Tibbetts (NHVR)
Genealogical Sketches of Robert and John Hazelton and Some of Their Descendants, Compiled by Lapham, published by F.H. Hazelton, 1892 - 368 pages pg 150 states: married ______ Stephens and settled in Manchester, NH. Children: Sewall s. Manchester; Williiam; David s. near Boston; Son; Jonathan; Betsey; Catherine m: ____ Mansfield; Mary; Miriam
8. John Haseltine b: Apr 31 1777 likely in Atkinson, NH as calculated by his death record. John married Lydia Flint b: Oct 29 1800, both of Derryfield, in Chester, NH (NHVR). He died of old age on Feb 20, 1861 83y9m20d in Manchester, NH but record does not state parents (NHVR).
i. Lydia Haseltine b. Feb 5 1801 in Derryfield, NH (NHVR) d. Jan 20 1887 85y 11m 15d in
Candia, NH m: McDuffee b. Manchester p: “John Haselton & Lydia Flint” (NHVR)
ii. Stephen Haseltine b. Nov 30 1802 in Derryfield, NH (NHVR) He lived in
Manchester, NH 1850 Census
iii. Cadevial Haseltine Aug 3 1804 in Derryfield, NH (NHVR)
iv. John Haseltine Oct 3 1806 in Derryfield, NH (NHVR)
Genealogical Sketches of Robert and John Hazelton and Some of Their Descendants Compiled by Lapham, published by F.H. Hazelton, 1892 - 368 pages, pg 151 states:”married Lydia Flint of Reading; Children: Lydia m: ____ Severance; Stephen; Kadmise (?); Caleb; Betsey; John d. of small pox; Lucinda; Lavina; Washington
9. Nancy Haseltine b: a1788? Lapham says she married Jonathan Hazelton as his 2nd wife – there is a Jonathan who married Nancy in Bedford, NH Dec 25 1804 but no parents are listed on the record (NHVR). They are buried in Centre Cemetery, Manchester, NH. She died Oct 17 1836 according to her grave stone age 48 , death record not found. Jonathan died May 23 1846 age 48 [b. 1798] according to his gravestone & NHVR-no parents listed. Jonathan was part owner of the Haseltine Mill in Hillsborough County Deed # 98 376. There is also a deed between Jonathan & David Hillsborough County Deed# 99-296 see previous post
Genealogical Sketches of Robert and John Hazelton and Some of Their Descendants, Compiled by Lapham, published by F.H. Hazelton, 1892 - 368 pages pg 151 states: became the second wife of Jonathan Hazelton; Mary b. Nov 15 1807 m: Joshua Coming, moved to Wisconsin; Sarah b. Aug 3 1813 m: Josiah Davis of Manchester; Nancy m: Levi Russell s. California; Jonathan b. Mar 2 1818; Judith b. Jan 5 1820
Continued next week - Surname Saturday - Piecing Together Asa Haseltine & Mary Ober's Life Together
Copyright Amylynne Baker-Santagate - NHGenealogist.com
Amylynne (Baker) Murphy