2G George A. Sanderson & Nancy "Emma" Smith
Rather than wander off too far from where we have been exploring, I opted to go back a bit & discuss the Sandersons this month. In August I shared my 2x great grandmother, Nancy Emma Smith’s ancestral line, but not her descendants.
So, here we go, George A Sanderson and Nancy "Emma" Smith. George was born Dec 1848 in Dover, NH, son of George W. Sanderson and Abigail Warren[i]. George and Emma married Apr 21, 1867 in Haverhill[ii] Nancy “Emma” was born Nov 30, 1847 in No. Andover, Ma, daughter of Daniel F. Smith and Susan M. Ellis[iii]. George A. died in Apr 1921 according to Hilldale Cemetery records where he is buried in an unmarked plot #439 with Daniel F. Smith [iv]. Emma died Oct 29 1897 in Haverhill, age 49yrs,10mo,29days where she resided. She died of a cerebral hemorrage & cardiac failure and is probably buried in Hilldale Cemetery in Haverhill, Ma, with her father also, but her name does not appear on their list, even though her death record clearly states she was buried in Hilldale Cemetery[v]. Additional records for George in Haverhill can be found on this endnote[vi].
George and Emma had the following children:
1. Mabel A Sanderson b: Dec 26, 1867 in Haverhill, Ma “female”[vii] m: Feb 27 1887 in Haverhill Fred E. Sargent[viii] They are divorced by the 1900 Census in Haverhill, MA. She m2nd: Andrew J. Williams between 1902-1905, and he died on May 25 1905 in Haverhill, MA and was buried in Hilldale Cemetery[ix] After Andrew’s death she was a servant for Charles M. Titcomb from before 1910 to about 1938-39.[x] She is not found in 1940 and he has moved.
Fred & Mabel had:
1. Clara Belle Sargent b. Sep 3 1887 d. Nov 23 1887 in Haverhill, MA[xi];
2. Annette “Nettie” Susan Emma Sargent b. Dec 17 1888 in Haverhill, MA[xii] m: Erburn W. Wood Feb 25 1911 in Nashua, NH[xiii]; Erborn Wirt Wood has a Mason Membership Card in Lynn, Ma b. Nov 19 1879 in Waterville, Me d. Jan 30 1943, Bethlehem Lodge. They must have divorced or she died before 1920 as on the 1920 & 1930 censuses his wife is listed as Rose.
3. Clarence Daniel Sargent b. Dec 18 1889 in Haverhill, MA[xiv]. On the 1900 US Census Clarence is with his paternal grandparents, George & Jane Sargent in Lynn, MA; m: Grace M. before 1917[xv], Reg WWI in Lynn & served[xvi]. He d: Apr 10 1927, buried Pine Grove WWI Plot[xvii].
2. Martha A Sanderson b: Sept 14, 1869 in Haverhill, Ma[xviii] m: in Haverhill Aug 6, 1887 Frank “John” Emerton born in Rumney, NH son of John & Martha. Ages 28 & 18[xix]. They separated before 1899. 1900 she is with her ex-husband’s sister Ina & her son Levi in Laconia, NH. 1910 she is in Lynn, but back in Haverhill by 1911. 1930 Frank is in Hampstead & remarried. Martha died Jun 25, 1941 and is buried in Hilldale Cemetery plot #439 with her parents & grandparents. [xx]
Frank & Martha had:
1. Levi “Lee” A. Emerton b. Nov 2 1888 in Haverhill, MA[xxi] m: Charlotte Clough on Apr 12 1913 in Haverhill, MA[xxii]. 1910 he & his mother are with his Aunt Ina in Laconia, NH. 1920 Census Haverhill, 1930 Census Salisbury he is a widow & with his mother. In 1935 Haverhill Directory he is with his new wife Elizabeth “Betty”
1. Annette B. Emerton b. a1916[xxiii]
2. Malcolm H. Emerton b. a1917[xxiv]
3. Arnold Emerton b. a1923[xxv]
3. Lillia “Lily” May Sanderson b: Oct 7, 1872 in Haverhill, Ma[xxvi]. She married 1st or at least intended to marry Everett J Hunkins on Feb 27, 1890[xxvii]. She married John Joseph Mahoney of Medford born Sept 1871 on Aug 22,1909 in Woburn, MA, both age 37; He lived in Medford & she in Boston; He was a letter carrier and she was a nurse; He was the son of John Mahoney & Catherine A. Skinnell. Pretty sure Lila is a servant for Gilman Hall on 1900 Haverhill Census & is listed as single; 1910 they are in Medford and she has no occupation. They resided on Fountain St. in Medford, MA in 1920. No children. His father was a grocer who died 1887 in Medford, born in Ireland and lived on Fountain St as well in 1900. They did not have any children. Lillian died 1934 in Medford, MA and is buried with the Mahoney family in Oak Grove Cemetery, Medford, MA[xxviii]. My grandmother was very close to her and I have Uncle Joe’s pocketwatch and crucifix.
4. Hattie Viola Sanderson Hattie was born on Jun 9 1878 in Haverhill, Ma[xxix]. married Ernest Costello Haseltine on 12 Mar 1896 in Salem, NH[xxx]. She died on Mar 11 1943 in Hale Hospital, Haverhill, Ma[xxxi]. They are buried in Linwood Cemetery, Haverhill, Ma[xxxii]. I will eventually cover them in a Haseltine post.
[i] No birth record found NHVR, 1850 US Census Dover, NH, George W. Sanderson a23 b. Ma Shoe maker, Abigail 22 NH,George A 1 NH, Sally Warren 59 MA; 1860 US Census, Haverhill, MA, George W. Sanderson 35, Abbie 33, George A 11, Charlie 8, Mary A 4, Sallie Warren 63; Haverhill, Ma, 1900 US Census, Groveland, MA; See also US Censuses in Haverhill, MA 1860, 1870, 1880, 1910, 1920; 1904 Haverhill Directory Abbie w/ Charles & George 8 Groveland, 1905 Haverhill Directory Abbie, George & Charles 26 Greenville St; and various other records
[ii] Haverhill, MA Marriage Record, NEHGS, AmericanAncestors.org, Apr 20 1867 Geo. A. Sanderson a 18 shoemaker b. Dover, NH to Emma Smith a 19 b. No. Andover, Daniel F. & Susan M., 1st both by Jason Mariner, also recorded in Strafford County, NH marriages; 1870 US Census in Haverhill, MA Emma and George are apart, but married by then as she is listed as Emma Sanderson. Both are with each of their parents. 1880 US Census: Ward 4 Haverhill, Ma, Eastern Ave George a31 NH NH NH Stock fitter, Emma a32 MA NH MA, Mabel A a12 MA NH MA (rest all same) Martha A a10, Lilly May a4, Hattie V a2
[iii] Calculated by death see endnote v
[iv] Hilldale Cemetery Association Records, and the copy at the Haverhill Library Archives show George A. Sanderson is buried in plot #439 with his in-laws, but he is not marked on the grave site itself. No records show his wife specifically in plot #439, however, her husband & parents are recorded as buried in that plot & her death record shows she is in Hilldale so I feel confident in saying she is also.
[v] Haverhill, MA Death Record, NEHGS, AmericanAncestors.org, Nancy Emma (Smith) Sanderson, wife of George A. Sanderson, 49y10m29d, Cerebral Hemorrhage, Lived, died & buried in Haverhill at Hilldale, housewife b. No. Andover, dau of Daniel F. Smith b. Effingham, NH & Susan Ellis b. Bradford
[vi] 1906 Haverhill Directory Just George & Charles 40 Mill St; 1907 Haverhill Directory Charles & George – no Abbie; 1910 Haverhill DirectoryCharles & George are listed on Hilldale; 1914 Haverhill Directory George A is on 225 Hilldale; 1920 Census in Haverhill, MA George A Sanderson is listed on census with Ernest & Hattie Haseltine on Hilldale
[vii] Haverhill, MA Birth Record NEHGS, AmericanAncestors.org, [Female] Sanderson, Dec 26 1867, dau of George J & Emma, Shoemaker b. Dover, NH mo. b. No. Andover
[viii] Haverhill, MA Marriage Record, NEHGS, AmericanAncestors.org Mar 2 1887 Mabel A. Sanderson of Haverhill a19 b. Haverhill dau of George A, & Emma to Fred E. Sargent of Haverhill a21 b. Nashua, NH,cutter, son of George W. & Jane W, 1st both by Otis Cole, Clergyman
[ix] 1900 US Census Haverhill, MA Ward 4 lists Mabel A. Sargent b. July 1869 Divorced, it says 0/0 but clearly that is incorrect, and her dau Nettie b. Dec 1888 as a boarders in the household of Steven & Susan Andrews. Andrew the son of Steven & Susan was b. Dec 1877. In the 1902 Haverhill Directory she is still listed as wife of Fred Sargent, but in 1907 Haverhill Directory she is listed as the widow of Andrew J. Williams. Haverhill, MA Death Record NEHGS, AmericanAncestors.org May 25 1905 a274m28d address 36 Race St. married, son of Stover G. Williams b. Amesbury & Susan F. Frink b. Haverhill, Andrew was a Heel Cutter, informant was his mother, buried Hilldale Cemetery, Endocarditis & Pulmonary Oedema, 1904 Directory Lists Andrew J. Williams at 36 Race St. 1905 Directory p. 150 lists his death “Williams Andrew J. 27 5,25,05” 1900-1902 Mabel Sargent widow of Fred Sargent resides at 36 Race St.
[x] 1910, 1920 & 1930 US Census, Haverhill, MA with Charles Titcomb and also on Haverhill, MA Directories through 1938.
[xi] Haverhill, MA Birth & Death Records, Clara Belle Sargent birth Sep 3 1887 & died Nov 23 1887 2m20d of convulsions dau of Fred E. Sargent & Mabel A. (Sanderson)
[xii] Haverhill, MA Birth Record Annette Susan Emma Sargent b. Dec 17 1888 dau of Fred E. & Mabelle A. (Sanderson)
[xiii] New Hampshire Vital Records Feb 25 1911 in Nashua, NH Annette E. Sargent a23 b. & Res. Haverhill, MA dau of Fred E. Sargent of Lynn & Mabel A. Sanderson of Haverhill to Erburn W. Wood b. Waterville, ME Res. Lynn, MA a31 shoemaker, son of Charles Wood (dec’d. building worker, b. ME) & Ella (Reynolds) b. ME, his 2nd Div’d, her 1st, by Edward C. Strout of Nashua, NH Clergyman
[xiv] Haverhill, MA Birth Record Charles Daniel Sargent Dec 18 1889, son of Fred E. Sargent b. Nashua, NH & Mabel Sanderson b. Haverhill
[xv] Lynn, MA Directory 1919, 1920, 1921 & 1923; WWI Registration Card Ancestry.com 1917 Clarence Daniel Sargent b. Dec 18 1888  in Haverhill, MA, Chauffour, married
[xvi] WWI Registration Card Ancestry.com 1917 Clarence Daniel Sargent b. Dec 18 1888  in Haverhill, MA, Chauffour, married; Application for a Military Headstone on Ancestry.com
[xvii] Application for a Military Headstone on Ancestry.com; FindAGrave.com
[xviii] Haverhill, MA Birth Record. Sept 14 1869 Martha A. Sanderson dau of George A. , b. Dover, NH & Emma b. No. Andover, shoe maker
[xix] Haverhill, MA Marriage Record, NEHGS, AmericanAncestors.org Aug 6 1887 Martha A. Sanderson of haverhill a18 Box-maker, b. Haverhill, dau of George A. & Emma, to Frank J. Emerton of Haverhill a28 Janitor, b. Rumney, NH son of john & Martha, 1st both by JC Snow, clergyman
[xx] Hilldale Cemetery Association Records, the grave is not marked
[xxi] Haverhill, MA Birth Records Levi Albert Emerton Nov 2 1888 son of John F. & Martha A. (Sanderson), Janitor b. Rumney, NH
[xxii] Haverhill, MA Marriage Records, Apr 12 1913, Lee A. Emerton a24 woodturner son of John F & Mattie Sanderson to Charlotte F. Clough a21 b. East Haverhill dau of William & Etta F. (Small) 1st both
[xxiii] 1920 US Census in Haverhill, MA
[xxiv] 1920 US Census in Haverhill, MA
[xxv] 1930 US Census in Salisbury, MA
[xxvi] Haverhill Birth Record Oct 7 1872 Lillia May Sanderson dau of George A. Sanderson & Emma N. (Smith)
[xxvii] Haverhill Marriage Records Feb 27 1890 Haverhill, Recorded Mar 3 1890 Everett J. Hunkins a23shoemaker son of John N & Sarah to Lillian M. Sanderson dau of George & Emma, by Itis O. Orderway, Clergyman - re
[xxix] Haverhill, MA Birth Records
[xxx] Salem, New Hampshire Marriage Records
[xxxi] Haverhill, MA Death Records
[xxxii] Linwood Cemetery Burial Records, Haverhill, MA and marked grave site.
Copyright 2013, all rights reserved, Amylynne Baker-Santagate, NHGenealogist.com
Amylynne (Baker) Murphy