John C. Haseltine was born on Jan 27 1847 in Manchester, NH the son of Simon Haseltine/Haselton & Clarissa Young (Click for more). He was raised in the small community of North Chester, NH and on Aug 22 1867 in Haverhill, Ma he married Celestia A. Bean, born 2 Sep 1846 in Lynn, Ma, daughter of George W. Bean & Mary Ann Rand. He likely had known Celestia most his life even though they seemingly lived so far apart, because her mother had been raised in the same small neighborhood and her grandfather had remained there.
They lived in several locations during their early marriage including Derry, Candia, Raymond & Chester, NH, as well as Haverhill, MA before settling in Salem, NH just after the turn of the century. Deeds with his name can be found regarding Chester, NH in Rockingham County Deeds between the years of 1881-1885. It seems this property was about 5 acres in size and did not contain a dwelling house.
John was in the shoe industry and later a Laborer in the dairy industry. Their home in Salem, NH was located on the left side of Granite St if coming from RT 97. Further property records can be found in the Rockingham County NH Registry of Deeds.
In 1893 Celestia sues George S. Smith of Haverhill for slander, but unfortunately I don't know much else at the moment. One could check the Haverhill Bulletin in the Haverhill Public Library Archives for March 25, 1893 to get more details. I couldn't find it in the gazette. Just as a side note this was about the same time her Mom passed away.
John died in Salem, NH on Jan 26 1938 in Salem, NH according to the Salem Annual Report, and was buried in an unmarked grave in Burrough's/North Chester Cemetery on Smith Rd Chester, NH. Celestia was buried with him after passing away in Salem at the age of 93 on Jul 5 1939.
John & Celestia had the following children:
1. Mary "Alice" Haseltine was born Sept 5, 1868 in Chester (NHVR-B) and married George P. Cross, son of Joseph & Ruth Cross on Jan 9, 1893 (NHVR-M). George P. was b: Jan 1827 and had previously been married on Feb 7 1866 to Josephine/Julia Woodbury b: Oct 1841, dau of Isaiah Woodbury & Sarah Gardner. George & Julia had a son named George Milton Cross b: Feb 1867.
In 1880 Julia/Josephine and her son George M. are with her parents. On the 1900 census it states Alice & Geo Sr have been married 10 yrs. Josephine is listed two doors down as the head of the household and divorced. George M Cross is listed in both households as "S" for single. George P. and Alice have 2 young daughters Ruth a7 & Hattie a3.
Josephine/Julia died Oct 1 1901 (states "George P. Cross and divorced") and George P died Apr 1 1901. that record shows he was definitely married but does not name his wife.
Alice & her “step-son” George Milton Cross who was actually her age, go to Manhattan and marry May 7 1902, and on the 1910 census it states Alice is married to the younger George M. and has been for 18yrs, 5ch/4lv, the later of which is clearly not true.
1920 they are both in Salem with Harriet, Elsie & George. Alice died of appendicitis on July 12 1927 in Lawrence, MA age 57y,10 m & 3d, b: Sep 5, 1869 (NHVR-D). The 1930 Census lists George M. as a widower & living with Elsie a26 who is listed as his daughter. George Milton Cross died Dec 2 1941 in Salem, NH record says his wife was Alice Hazelton; parents George P. Cross & Josephine Woodbury.
Alice & George P. Cross had:
i. Ruth Cross b: Nov 20 1893 Salem- says father "George P." (NHVR-B)
m: James W Fielding
Aug 18 1915 Salem, NH (NHVR-M)
ii. Harriet A. Cross b: May 15 1897 Salem, NH says father "George P." (NHVR-B)
iii. Marian Cross Jun 16 1899 Salem, NH says "George P." (NHVR-B) d: Sep 4 1899
says "George P." (NHVR-D)
Alice & George M. Cross had:
iv. Elsie E. Cross b: a1903 - no birth record found
v. George A. Cross b: a1905- no birth record found m: Florence E. Sweetser
on Oct 23 1926 in Salem, NH says father "George M." (NHVR-M)
2. Oscar Haseltine was born about June 1870 in Haverhill, MA according to his death record when he died on Jan 27 1876 age 5yrs & 6mo in Derry of Intermittent pneumonia (NHVR-D).However I highly suspect his birth record lists him as Frank A. Haseltine born Sept 9 1870 in Haverhill, MA (MVR-B)
3. Ernest Costello Haseltine about Jan 1877 Click Link
4. Unnamed infant – was b: Nov 8 1877 in Raymond, NH & died shortly thereafter on Nov 17 1877 in Raymond of Eclampsia. The mother is mistakenly recorded as Mary.
5. Fred Haseltine was born Dec 17 1878 in Candia, NH and recorded as “Infant –no name”. They resided in Candia at the time (NHVR-B). He died at 8 months old of canker on Neptune St. in Lynn, Ma on Sept 15, 1879 (MVR-D)
6. Alonzo Carleton Haseltine was born in Jun 27, 1880 in Lynn, MA (MVR-B). Alonzo first married about 1915 -1916 Mary Ann (Connelly) Durocher who was born in Lynn, MA. She was the widow of Harold J Durochers who she had married Dec 9 1910 in Lynn, Ma. He died about 1915. Harold was the son of Joseph O. Durrocher & Sarah J. Connor according to their marriage record. Alonzo married Mary A. (Connelly) Durocher on Apr 15 1917 in Haverhill, MA (MVR_M) and in the 1919 Lynn Directory Alonzo is listed as married to Mary A. as well. Mary died January 13 1919 in Lynn, Ma of influenza with bronchial pneumonia. She is buried in st Joseph’s in Lynn, MA.
Harold & Mary had:
John Edward Durocher b: May 23 1913 in Lynn, Ma (NEHGS). John continued to live with his Step-grandparents John & Celestia Hazeltine until after 1930, perhaps even until their deaths later in the decade. He went on to enlist in the Navy during WWII & marry Antoniet T. He died Nov 17 1971 in Boston, MA and was buried in Andover, MA with a
military marker. Antoniet was b. Jan 23 1917 in Massachusetts & died Jan 20 2000 in
Margaret W. Durocher b: Aug 30 1914 Lynn (NEHGS) d: Jan 31 1915 Lynn (NEHGS)
Alonzo took John in as his own and then Alonzo & Mary had the following children:
i. Hazel Haseltine b: a1916 (d: btn 2008-14) m: _______Perry of Florida
ii. Pearl C. Haseltine b: a1918 d: May 12 2012 m: Raymond Brown m: Ralph Newhall of Lynn & Danvers, MA
iii. Albert C. Haseltine b: Nov 14 1918 d: Aug 13 2010. He lived in Lawrence, MA
The 1920 Census lists John, Pearl & Albert as grandchildren in the household of John & Celestia Haseltine. It is unknown where Hazel was at this time, but she was not listed on the census with the others. Perhaps she was just mistakenly left off. Alonzo is listed alone in Lynn, Ma at the time as a lodger and married.
I know by 1925, Alonzo had married Celina (Canney, Christy or Carpenter) but no record has been found & the births of their children have not been released yet either. From the Lynn Directory we can see that in 1920, 1921, & 1923 he listed in the Lynn Directory without a wife listed …Celina is listed in 1925 (I did not check 1924). Perhaps she was just left out in error as it would seem Alonzo & Celina were likely married about 1920.
Alonzo & Celina had:
iv. Mildred M. “Millie” Haseltine b: 1921 (d: btn 2008-14) m: _________Petrillo of Saugus,
v. Female Haseltine b: 1922 Living in July 2014
vi. Oscar F. Haseltine b: a1925 d: July 19 2014. He lived in Salem, NH.
vii. Female Haseltine b: 1927 Living in July 2014
viii. Walter C. Haseltine b:a1928 d: Feb 28 2008 in Haverhill, Massachusetts
Alonzo died Feb 28, 1960 at the age of 79 and he is buried in Smith Road Cemetery in North Chester, NH. His wife is marked there and also in Pinegrove Cemetery, Salem, NH.
7. Bertha M Haseltine ‘s birth was recorded without a name on Aug 13 1882 in Derry, NH (NHVR-B). She married George L. Day b: 1878 Kennebunk, ME, son of Charles L. Day & Mary E. Wildes on Dec 22, 1900 in Haverhill, Ma (MVR-M) The marriage record also confirms she was born in Derry, NH. On the 1910 Census in Lynn, MA she is listed as "Maude B." Day married 9 yrs.
i. Oscar Day b: a1904
ii. Irene Day b: a1909
8. Frank A. Haseltine b: Nov 11, 1886 d: Nov 12 1886 in Lynn, Ma of deficient vitality, mother listed as Sylvia born in Lynn, Fa listed as John C. born in Manchester, NH, no street in Lynn listed
9. Fred Haseltine was born on Jun 26 1888 in Salem, NH (NHVR-B). He also died as a baby & was the 9th child per his birth record.
10. Alberto "Burt" Forrest Haseltine was born in Jun 12 1887-1889 but no birth record has been found. His WWI Draft states: Jun 12 1890; His WWII Draft states: Jun 12 1887. The 1900 Census in Salem, NH states June 1889. He died June 18, 1942 age 54. He married Hattie Cavanaugh on Jul 9, 1909 in Lawrence (MVR-M). She was born in Lawrence. She is buried in Lawrence Immaculate Cemetery and he is buried in Pinegrove, Salem, NH.
Burt & Hattie had:
i. Irene Haseltine 1909-1909 (NHVR-D)
ii. Fred Haseltine who died 1 hr old in 1910 (NHVR-D)
iii. Alice May Haseltine was born in Jul 7 1911 at the Rockingham Race Track in
Salem, NH where her father was a caretaker, she having told the writer’s mother
herself. She lived a long life and the writer also remembers her. She married
Alfio "Fred" Sapienza b. Nov 19 1906 in Lawrence son of Antonio Sapienza & Guiseppina Petralia.
Fred & Alice married Feb 19 1928 in Salem, NH. Fred died Feb 26 1995 and at the time they had
been married 67 years. Alice died May 21 2003 in Haverhill, MA at the
age of 91.
They had one son:
1. Anthony “Tony” Sapienza who was a noted teacher & runner in
Massachusetts. He suddenly died right after winning a race in Haverhill,
MA during Mar 1987.
11. Pearl C Haseltine was born in Jan 20 1890 in Salem, NH (NHVR). Pearl m: Leon Drowns in Haverhill, Ma on Mar 4, 1911, she listed as b: & resides in Salem, NH as a packer. Her father is named as John but her mother is curiously noted as "Mary Stevens". His parents are listed as Paskel Downs & Alice Burnes. He was b: 1889 in Burlington, VT. The 1920 Census shows them in Haverhill and the 1923 Directory for Haverhill shows them as well. She died in Lawrence, Ma Dec 1980 which mistakenly lists her birth as Jan 20 1891. I did not find Leon or Pearl between 1923-1940 when they are on the US Census for Lawrence, MA.
Pearl & ?? Harlow
i. Earle Carlton Harlow b: Jun 20 1907 no father listed or information about a father; mo: named as Pearl C. Haseltine born in Salem., NH (MVR-B). Then there is a Grand Lodge
Masons Membership Card on NEHGS for Earl Carlton Harlow granted membership in
1937. It says he is an operative, lives in Lawrence, b: June 20 1905. He died Jun 30 1976
in Lawrence, MA.
Pearl & Leon had:
ii. Charlie Drowns - stillborn d: Dec 16 1911 Salem, NH (NHVR-D)
Sourcing not clearly listed in text:
NEHGS - New England Historical Genealogical Society
MVR – Massachusetts Vital Records B = Birth Record; m= Marriage Record; D=Death Record
NHVR – New Hampshire Vital Records B = Birth Record; m= Marriage Record; D=Death Record
CR – Cemetery Record at the specific cemetery named
CS – Hilldale Cemetery Survey – Complete survey of grave markers by Amylynne Baker-Santagate in progress 2013 -2014.
RCNH Deeds – Rockingham County, NH Registry of Deeds
Copyright Amylynne Baker-Santagate NHGenealogist.com
Amylynne (Baker) Murphy