Rather than enter a million endnotes in the Sanderson blog posts I have opted to use abbreviated sourcing, a practice I use in my own personal notes quite often. The key to the abbreviations is at the end & contains further information on the sources. The best source is marked with the line item. Other sources may contain the same or different information. My line follows the blue ancestors working backwards.
5G Phineas Sanderson & Phebe Chenery
Phineas/Phineus Sanderson born Sep 20-24 1780 in Weston, MA (NEHGS) and baptized Oct 8, 1780, son of Abraham Sanderson Jr. & Sarah Wheeler (NEHGS). Pheobe Chenery was born Jan 24, 1784 (NEHGS), the daughter of John Chenery of Watertown & Pheobe Sargant of Malden (who intended to marry Malden Nov 15 1761 - NEHGS). Her paternal grandfather was Ebenezer Chenery (GP-V3) According to Watertown records Phineas Sanderson and Phebe Chenery married Feb 24, 1803 by Richard R. Eliot, pastor of the Church in Watertown which it seems was less than 2 months before the birth of their son Ebenezer (NEHGS). I have not located death dates for them, but see the notes following the list of their children.
Children of Phineas & Phebe were:
1. Ebenezer Chenery Sanderson b. Apr 8 1803 Watertown, MA (NEHGS) see blog - .
2. Leonard Sanderson b. Feb 11 1805 Watertown, MA (NEHGS).
3. David Sanderson b. Apr 24 1807 Watertown, MA (NEHGS).
4. Isaac Sanderson b. Aug 4 1809 Watertown, MA (NEHGS).
5. John Sanderson b. Dec 20 1811 Watertown, MA (NEHGS). d. Mar 30 1862 Waltham, MA
6. Phebe Ann Sanderson b. Dec 6 1814 Watertown, MA (NEHGS). m: Edwin Hastings b. Sep 12 1812 m. Jun 5 1834 (HM-Buckminster)
7. Moses Chenery Sanderson b. Nov 29 1816 Watertown, MA (FSR).d. Dec 8 1848 in Brighton, MA a32, Hatter, married, b. Watertown, 1816, son of ___?___ & Elizabeth, consumption (FSR).
8. Caleb Sanderson b. Jul 12 1819 Watertown, MA (FSR).d. Apr 25 1874 Weston, MA, widower, 54y9m of Epilepsy, probably Asphyxia, Farmer, b.Watertown, son of Phineas b. Weston & Phoebe b. Watertown (NEHGS)
9. Ann Maria Sanderson b. Nov 27 1821 Watertown, MA (FSR)
10. Phineus Sanderson b. Sep 13 1824 Watertown, MA (FSR)
1810 US Census in Watertown for Phins Sanderson 4m under 10; 1m 26-44; 1f 26-44 (ancestry.com)
1820 US Census in Watertown for Phins Sanderson 3m under 10; 2m 10-15; 1m 16-18; 1m 16-25; 1m 26- 44;1f under 10; 1f 26-44; 2m slaves (ancestry.com)
1830 US Census Phineas Sanderson – None (only Ebenezer C. Sanderson in Watertown)
It seems very possible at this moment - that Phebe probably died between 1824-1835 and that Phineas a50-60 removed to Lincoln where he remarried Mrs Pricilla (Parks) Coombs [Garfield], “widow of Eseck Cooms” on Mar 17-19 1835 (NEHGS), and has the following individuals in his home during the 1840 US Census in Lincoln, MA (Ancestry.com): 1m a5-9; 2m a10-14; 2m a20-29; 1m a50-59; 1f a10-14; 1f a15-19; 1f a40-49. Lincoln Records say Priscilla Parks married Eseck Coombs Apr 1816 and had a few children. Eseck Coombs d. Apr 22 1821 (FSR) Then it seems she married Enoch Garfield and had several children with him, including Enoch Garfield Jr., Hannah, Francis & Priscilla “Cooms or Gearfield” b. Oct 25 1826 in Lincoln, MA dau of Priscilla comb & Enoch Garfield” (FSR) then she married Phineas Sanderson 3rd…
Then it seems Phineas Sanderson died between 1840-1850 (no death record found) & Priscilla Sanderson [b. Apr 9 1796 Lincoln, MA dau of Josiah Parks & Bulah- FSR] now removed to Concord, MA on the 1850 US Census a54 with [children] Enoch Garfield, Pricilla Garfield & Francis Garfield.
1865 Mass Census in Concord, MA Priscilla Sanderson a67 is with Daniel Haynes a17, painter [son of Daniel & Hannah [Garfield] Haynes b. Apr 13 1848 in Concord] Hannah M. Garfield dau of Enoch Garfield & Pricilla Garfield d. Mar 11 1862 Concord, MA; Priscilla Sanderson, female, widow, 74y4m28d [calc Apr 9 1796, same as birth record noted above] died of consumption in Concord Sep 6 1870, b. Lincoln, dau of Josiah Parks & Beulah Tower of Lincoln (ancestry.com – photo of records)
Other records – not sure about –
“A Child Saunders” d. Nov 17 1824 Watertown, MA (FSR)
(NEHGS- Vol 127 1973) & (NEHGS Vol 128 1974) See the New England Historical Genealogical Register for articles in 2 parts written by Page Sanderson of Meredith, NH. It seems to me to be the most accurate, sourced & complete account of the Sanderson Family that I have found.
(NEHGS) Record is listed with the New England Historical Genealogical Society via AmericanAncestors.org
(FSR) Family Search Records
(Ancestry.com) US Census Records
(GP-V3) Gene & Person. By Cutter Vol III
Copyright Amylynne Baker-Santagate, NHGenealogist.com
Amylynne (Baker) Murphy