The following sketches are mostly taken from The Life & Family of John Bean of Exeter and his Cousins by Bernie Bean, 1970 and The Proceedings of John Bean (1660) Association at its (4th) Annual Reunion at Portland, ME August 31 1899 & the genealogy compiled within it by Josiah Drummond. The dates are exactly as they appear in Bernie Bean’s The Life & Family book. Unless otherwise specified, I have not seen the record & am unclear what calendar the dates were recorded under, therefore I do not want to assume January was the first month of the year.
Jeremiah Bean was b. 4-20-1675 Exeter, NH d. 1727, Exeter, m. 1708?, Hampton Falls, NH, Ruth Johnson, b. 1-1-1675, Hampton Falls, d. (before) 12-27-1758, Exeter, NH, the daughter of Matthew Johnson & Rebecca Wiswall.
Jeremiah served in the Indian wars between 1695 and 1710 under Capt Gilman. He was a Scout as was his brother James. He was a farmer and a blacksmith. His home in Exeter was located where the jail was later built. There are perhaps a dozen wills, deeds and other conveyances of property by the hand of Jeremiah and Ruth from which we gather much information about them. However, none of these provided the proper order of the birth of their children nor the birthdates, only that James was the oldest. The date of Ruth’s death was before that given here because that was the date when her will was executed. Jeremiah, from all we can learn of him appears to have been a quiet sort of person, going about his own business, & taking things pretty much as they came. He and Ruth were of Presbyterian background and members of the Hampton Church until his mother moved her membership to the new church in Exeter. They had 9ch., all b. in Exeter.
Children of Jeremiah & Ruth:
1. James Bean b. 1708 m: 1st Ruth Sanborn m: 2nd Lydia Hoag There are 14 children between
the 2 wives listed in the book.
2. Margaret Bean m: Jonathan Glidden of Epping - family has not been found
3. Elizabeth Bean - m: Joseph Norris
4. Deborah Bean m: James Dudley son of James & Mercy (Folsom) Dudley, born in Exeter
a1715 and he died in May 1761 and she in Andover in 1810 -It is unclear of she is really a
child of this couple or not.
5. Jeremiah "Jeremy" Bean b. 1720 m: Abigail Prescott
6. Richard Bean - d. 6- - 1749, Exeter. He was a blacksmith. He died unmarried about 1750,
Jeremy admin his estate.
7. Tabitha Bean m: Daniel Elkins of Kingston
8. Hannah Bean - m: John Elkins of Kingston. Bean states - These two boys were brothers and the sons of
Moses and Ann (Shaw) Elkins of Kingston, NH - Update: this is not correct according to this link. Thank you Erika "Ricky" Elkins for pointing out that Bernie Bean's compilation is incorrect & that they are sons of Samuel Elkins & Mercy Tilton.
9. John Bean b.
Amylynne (Baker) Murphy
Use your browsers"FIND"
option to locate the name you are